Re: X settings not applying?

On Sunday 24 October 2004 22:17, Eric Scott wrote:
>     Heya, I've got a new woody installation.  My Panasonic E15 monitor
> diplays up to 1024x768.  800x600 works with the default settings on
> basically any operating system, but to get 1024x768 to purr I had to
> tweak the refresh rate(s).  First I figured out on Windows that it only
> works right under 75Hz vertical.  Then under Mandrake and Suse I found
> that the horizontal had to include something in the neighborhood of 65.
>  Setting something like 1024x768@75Hz with a horizontal rate of 30-60
> has made this this work swell with everything else... then I decided to
> try woody.  I dried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, and supposedly set
> it all right (VESA driver... same as I use in SuSE).  I looked at the
> config file, and have tried messing with it... everything's fine.
> Restart X.... NO difference.  It does the exact same thing as it usually

Note that once you hand edit your XF86 config file, dpkg-reconfigure won't
overwrite your changes.  Check the list archives for how to undo this, if
you don't have a copy of the original somewhere.

> does with 1024x768@60Hz... display fine, but with the image "leaning"
> off to the right side of the screen and, strangley enough, seemingly
> folding underneath itself.  The part of the screen that is off to the
> right of the monitor displays in reverse... kinda like a transluscent
> folded-under burritto shell. The old-style knobs to center and size the
> display area don't turn far enough to center the image.
>
>     Clear as mudd? Good.  Basically, X doesn't seem to be displaying
> @75Hz like I tell it to, and insists on doing 60Hz.  Any help?
>        Thanx,
>            ES

Are you still using the vesa driver, or did you change to the driver
specific to your chipset?  If you don't know, check the Device section of
your config file.  To find out which chipset you have, use lspci.

Justin Guerin