Re: X settings not applying?

Eric Scott wrote:
Heya, I've got a new woody installation. My Panasonic E15 monitor diplays up to 1024x768. 800x600 works with the default settings on basically any operating system, but to get 1024x768 to purr I had to tweak the refresh rate(s). First I figured out on Windows that it only works right under 75Hz vertical. Then under Mandrake and Suse I found that the horizontal had to include something in the neighborhood of 65. Setting something like 1024x768@75Hz with a horizontal rate of 30-60 has made this this work swell with everything else... then I decided to try woody. I dried dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, and supposedly set it all right (VESA driver... same as I use in SuSE). I looked at the config file, and have tried messing with it... everything's fine. Restart X.... NO difference. It does the exact same thing as it usually does with 1024x768@60Hz... display fine, but with the image "leaning" off to the right side of the screen and, strangley enough, seemingly folding underneath itself. The part of the screen that is off to the right of the monitor displays in reverse... kinda like a transluscent folded-under burritto shell. The old-style knobs to center and size the display area don't turn far enough to center the image.

Clear as mudd? Good. Basically, X doesn't seem to be displaying @75Hz like I tell it to, and insists on doing 60Hz. Any help?
      Thanx,
          ES

I don't know if this applies in your case. Your monitor looks like it has the normally expected specs (75V & 30-60H). You should not have to "tweak" anything. BTW, what you are "tweaking" is the card, not the monitor. Sometimes, it seems that X defaults to VESA for the video card driver. If that doesn't work, you get all kinds of video wierdness, which is not consistent from card to card. The configuration says it's happy, but it still doesn't work properly.

First, you need to know everything about your video card (I'm also lumping in on-board chipsets).

Second, make absolutely certain that the latest driver is installed. If you can't find a driver for your card, go with the chipset (see First).

Third, run "Xconfigurator" from terminal, if it's available. Or, find the X configuration file. Sorry, I use it so seldom I keep forgetting where it is and have to hunt it up each time. If you use this method, find the section that has to do with 'display' (IIRC). Somewhere in there you will find a driver listed, in your case "VESA". Change it to match your card.

Fourth, restart the X server. Unless your card is really old or odd, that should do it.

Disclaimer: This works in most cases I've seen. Since not much is simple anymore, however, you may have something else to deal with as well.

Good hunting,
Jim