Re: greek characters...

On 26 Oct 2004, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to be so lame as to not find this doucmentation on my own, but a
> quick google didn't find the answer.
>
> I want to be able to type in Greek characters in various places
> (gedit, openoffice, terminal window perhaps).  I already know that
> gedit and Openoffice support the display of Unicode greek characters,
> as I can open files containing Greek characters in those
> applications.  But I can't generate the greek characters myself.  Is
> there a trick for doing that?  This is my main concern.
>
> In addition, but less importantly, I can't get Greek text to
> display in the terminal.  I've installed rxvt-unicode-ml, but Greek
> text displays as nonsense there just as it does in xterm.  this is
> true even if I set LANG and LC_ALL to a unicode-capable locale, like
> de_DE.utf8.
>
> thanks as always!
> matt

I spent many months getting this to work, including all the accents.
Perhaps I made heavy weather of it, but this is what I came up with.

In brief, the answer is in two parts: producing Greek text on-screen,
and printing it. The first is relatively easy.

1. In a console, you can use fonty, which has Greek characters (which
you can modify if necessary - I did). In an xterm, I use the graphic
version of vim (gvim). Then I issue the following commands in command
mode:

	set enc=greek
	set keymap=greek

If you don't like the way the characters are rendered on your keyboard
you can edit the greek keymap to taste.

2. However, this won't allow you to print in Greek, and this requires
rather more work. For that, you need a package called TeXgreek.tar.gz or
texmf.local.tar.gz. See ftp://obelix.ee.duth.gr/pub/ and
http://iris.math.aegean.gr/software/teTeX/. These provide the Greek
fonts you need.

The second site also has instructions for setting it up. I put the fonts
in /usr/local. Finally you have to run texhash (as root) and then, in
/tmp, you issue: initex latex.ltx. If all goes well you should have the
fonts available for use.

Once you've got the fonts, you should be able to print Greek by putting
something like this in the preamble in Latex:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[polutonikogreek]{babel}
\usepackage[iso-8859-7]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
\selectlanguage{polutonikogreek}

If you run into problems, email me and I will send you the detailed
instructions I used.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic