greek characters...

Hi,

Sorry to be so lame as to not find this doucmentation on my own, but a
quick google didn't find the answer.

I want to be able to type in Greek characters in various places
(gedit, openoffice, terminal window perhaps).  I already know that
gedit and Openoffice support the display of Unicode greek characters,
as I can open files containing Greek characters in those
applications.  But I can't generate the greek characters myself.  Is
there a trick for doing that?  This is my main concern.

In addition, but less importantly, I can't get Greek text to
display in the terminal.  I've installed rxvt-unicode-ml, but Greek
text displays as nonsense there just as it does in xterm.  this is
true even if I set LANG and LC_ALL to a unicode-capable locale, like
de_DE.utf8.

thanks as always!
matt

 .''`.       Matt Price