Setting encoding for application

Hi everyone.

I installed Debian two weeks ago, and everything is going good. But when I use
LaTeX, the output is erronous, in the sense that all my french accents are
gone, or misrepresented. What I want is the latin1 (or ISO-8859-1) encoding,
but I don't know how to change that. Anybody can help?

Interestingly, when I used KDE, everything is fine. It's only with Gnome that
the problem happens.

Oh yeah, while I'm here, until I tried Gnome, I can't use KDE anymore... it's
not in the "session"'s choices anymore (in the login window). Here again, can
anyone can help me with this.

Thanks a lot.

--
Jean-François Lefebvre