Re: Playing a wav

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:26:58 -0500, Michael Satterwhite
<michael@weblore.com> wrote:
> Back on SuSE, I could play a wav file just by entering "play file" from the
> command line. I liked this for script end notifications. Play isn't installed
> by default, and there are hundreds of hits if I enter "apt-cache search
> play".
>
> Would someone be so kind as to suggest a command line tool for this that's
> available on Debian?

You probably want sox.  That's what provides /usr/bin/play on my
machine.  I'm sure there's a way to do this using one of the apt
tools, but the "Search the contents of packages" form at
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages finds it with "bin/play" as the
file name.

--
Michael A. Marsh