Re: esound and alsa not compatible?

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:10 -0700, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu> writes:
>
> > I think you are confusing the two. Alsa is a sound architecture but
> > esound is a sound daemon. Alsa makes sounds where as esound plays more
> > of a traffic cop role. Bottom line is that they serve two different
> > purposes when dealing with sound. Alsa plays the driver or module role.
> > Someday it might be able to do the job of a sound daemon as well but I
> > don't think this is the intent of the project.
>
> I thought the never ALSA could play the role of 'traffic cop'?  As in,
> it can get input from different streams and then merge them before
> sending it to the soundcard.
>
> Or does sound daemons do more?

Alsa cannot play multiple audio streams simultaneously. From what I
understand, this is  more of a hardware limitation than an alsa
limitation. They claim that some sound cards can do automatic hardware
mixing. If your card can't do this then there is a plugin called "dmix"
that does software mixing (i.e. allow sounds to play simultaneously) .
I've never tried it. Just search "alsa dmix" for plenty of how-to's. I
would imagine just using esd or arts would be easier and work flawlessly
at the moment. I think a lot of Gnome apps are probably programmed to
use esound. Give it a try... it can't hurt.

I'm no sound expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt...

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>