Re: esound and alsa not compatible?

Apparently, _Eric Gaumer_, on 24/10/04 15:14,typed:
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 14:53 -0400, H. S. wrote:

I had ALSA built as module in the kernel without OSS support. Alsa was working fine (xmms, xine, etc.) but was giving no system sounds at all. So I installed esound last night (Gnome in Unstable, kernel 2.6.7). Since then, after reboot, whichever user logs in kind of own esd because if then that user logs out and another logs in, s/he get in .xsession-errors:
##############
esd: Failed to fix owner of /tmp/.esd.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
/tmp/.esd/socket
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting...

** (gnome-session:4742): WARNING **: Esound failed to start.

###############

When is do 'ps uax | grep esd' i see an esd session from the last user that had first logged in. Also, xmms does not work anymore. Killing esd solves the xmms problem but Gnome system sounds do not work then. What am I missing?

When a user logs out, esd should be killed. It sounds like you have a
stale socket from an old session or different user.

Yes, it should be killed. Is that a bug in Sid?

As for xmms... you just need to change the output plugin under settings
to use esound.

I could do that. But how does that relate to Alsa? If I install esound, can I just uninstall Alsa altogether?

Conversely, how do I make system sounds of gnome use Alsa instead of esound? This way I can get rid of esound and keep Alsa.

Thanks,
->HS