Re: Backup to dvd

David Berg wrote:
Need some help hammering out a tar/mkisofs command to backup my disks to
dvd.  I'm looking to burn two root level directories (/home,/var and
/usr, /) to they're own dvd.  Problem is I don't have room to build the
tarball or iso on the hard disk before I burn it.  Using a command such
as mkisofs -R -o backup.iso /home /var
looses some directory structure
and if I use graft points I loose directory ownership & permission
information.  At least I haven't yet figured out how not to.  I also
can't figure out how to make mkisofs read from stdin for its directories
so that I can have tar pipe its output directly to mkisofs.

You need to use the -stream-media-size option.  RTFM for the details.

I'd rather use just mkisofs and have each individual file than one tarball
but I don't want to run into any problems with restoring from backup
either since I plan on doing it shortly (only using half of harddrive
and fdisk for some reason won't let me put a partition on the rest)

Did you by any chance create 4 primary partitions of which none is extended? If so then you should be able to fix the problem by deleting the swap partition and creating an extended partition. Having done that, you can create an unlimited number of "logical" partitions (including a new swap partition).

Ben.