Re: moving from plain SCSI to Hardware Raid, possible ?

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 09:13 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 14:11 +1000, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
[snip]

> > Since the on-disk structure of JBOD, RAID-0, RAID-3, RAID-5,
> > RAID-0+1, RAID-1+0, RAID-10, etc, etc are all different, you have
> > to wipe the disks.
>
> Proper hardware RAID firmware can migrate from one RAID type to the other
> with the RAID online, even.  Intel's do this, even their el-cheapo SCRCZR
> crap.  Never tried with Adaptec, but there is a good chance it can do this,
> too.

I wouldn't trust that with anything more important than my
address book.

To try it with something as important as an active database would
be unthinkable: the possibility of randomly corrupted bits is just
too high.

Bite the bullet, come in on Saturday morning, and make a day of it.

Another possibility is to get an external rack, populated with new
SCSI disks.  Init it during "regular business hours", and migrate
your data in pieces, to minimize each chunk of down-time.

> > have a reliable tape drive, and you've tested the reliability of
> > your backups, right?
>
> Indeed. Backups before messing with these kind of things are a MUST.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Peace is not only better than war, but infinitely more arduous."
George Bernard Shaw