Re: moving from plain SCSI to Hardware Raid, possible ?

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 14:11 +1000, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have a few servers in production which have a couple of SCSI hard
> disks.
> Currently only using one of them.  The 2nd just houses some data as a
> backup.
> We're not really interested in going down the software RAID path, much
> prefer hardware RAID.
>
> Anyways we have a few Adaptec 2110S Single channel RAID cards floating
> around that we could use.
>
> The issue is:
> We really don't want to rebuild the servers from scratch.
>
> Unfortunately I've never done anything like this, everytime you create
> a Raid set in Hardware, you initialize/wipe the disks afaik.
>
> Has anyone ever successfully done this type of thing ?
> Can you give me a bit of a description on how you did it ?
> Also I'd be interested to hear anyone's theory on how it could be
> done.

Since the on-disk structure of JBOD, RAID-0, RAID-3, RAID-5,
RAID-0+1, RAID-1+0, RAID-10, etc, etc are all different, you have
to wipe the disks.

If the OS is on a separate disk from the data (including /home),
you won't have to rebuild the server, "just" the data disks.  You
have a reliable tape drive, and you've tested the reliability of
your backups, right?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time when the
quo has lost its status."
Laurence J. Peter