Re: esound and alsa not compatible?

Apparently, _Eric Gaumer_, on 24/10/04 16:08,typed:

I think you are confusing the two. Alsa is a sound architecture but
esound is a sound daemon. Alsa makes sounds where as esound plays more
of a traffic cop role. Bottom line is that they serve two different
purposes when dealing with sound. Alsa plays the driver or module role.
Someday it might be able to do the job of a sound daemon as well but I
don't think this is the intent of the project.

Much appreciate the explanation, thanks.

Conversely, how do I make system sounds of gnome use Alsa instead of esound? This way I can get rid of esound and keep Alsa.

Nope. When you say "use alsa" you are just eliminating the sound daemon
but without a sound daemon, only one thing could use the sound card at a
time.

Esound is comparable to Arts not alsa...

That clears stuff in mind about alsa and esd. Again, thanks.

->HS