Re: USB 2.0 speed

Cristi Banciu wrote:

Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:

I have an external HDD case, that is USB 2.0 certified. When I boot my machine with KNOPPIX and have the USB case plugged, I get fast transfer rates to my external disk (10MB/sec or so).

When I boot my regual installation of Debian (sarge), with both kernels 2.4.25 and 2.6.8 (installed via apt-get), the same modules are loaded (uhci-hcd and friends), but the system can only exchange data with the external drive VERY slowly (less than 500kb/sec).

usbview shows me at that time that the external USB device (correctly) advertises speeds of up to 480Mbps, but actual file transfers are extremely slow.

Anyone have any idea on how to troubleshoot this?

Try to load ehci modules. I have an usb-stick and if I mount it with -o sync option I am able to transfer data at about 5Mb/sec, which is pretty good for a flash drive.
I am using kernel 2.6.8 installed with apt-get.

Hi
Try http://www.linux-usb.org/usb2.html and http://www.linux-usb.org for some info.

Robin