customizing gnome icons on task bars

Given Debian Unstable, can I customize the the appearance of the icons that appear on the task bar using the 'add applet' (or something similar) option by right clicking on taskbar?

I am trying to change the icons (or the pop-up labels) of the volume controls. I have a control for PCM, speaker and headphones. All appear to be the same. Even the pop up messages that appear when I place the mouse over the speaker icons say "Volume Control". I would like to modify either the icons or the labels or both. Suggestions?

thanks,
->HS