Greetings and Installation Problem with Network Configuration

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zachary" <Z_kline@hotmail.com>
To: <debian-users@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 7:20 PM
Subject: Greetings and Installation Problem

Hello,
I am not currently using Debian GNU Linux, but am looking forward to doing so in the near future. That is, if I can successfully install it. I am attempting to install the Sarge distribution, with a modification for a screen reader, called Speakup. The problem isn't booting the installation from floppy disks, that works fine. The problem is the network configuration. I know that I am supposed to ask my system administrator for this information. Unfortunately, for all practical purposes, I am the system administrator, the router is on my machine. I know what information needs to be entered, but I am uncertain what I am not doing correctly. I have a network adaptor which Windows XP Professional refers to as "Belkin 11 MBPS Wireless USB Network Adaptor." Debian refuses to see this when it looks for a piece of network hardware. I also know for a fact that DHCP is supported, and Autoconfiguration is also supported. Despite this, DHCP fails, and autoconfiguration fails. I have been attempting to enter all the information about host names and such over and over again now, with no success. Whatever I try, the program will not connect to a mirror to download the files.
I would appreciate any information you could give me,
Thanks,
Zachary Kline