Re: Running jobs at shutdown

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 02:19:05PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 12:50:18AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> Currently I have a few jobs I run at boot time using @reboot in my
>> crontab. I would really like to be able to run some jobs just before
>> shutting down as well (alternatively when I log out of GNOME). How can I
>> do that?
>
>To run them when you log out, you can put them in your ~/.xsession
>
>    #!/bin/sh
>    gnome-session
>    ~/bin/job-to-run-after-logout 1
>    ~/bin/job-to-run-after-logout 2
>
>This will run the jobs after you log out of gnome. The jobs will still
>ahve access to the X display - but there won't be any window manager at
>this stage.
>
>The display manager won't return until the jobs are finished (unless
>you start the jobs in the background, and then they cannot rely on
>access to the the X display).
>
>PS: This assume that you actually use ~/.xsession - iirc you can tell
>    GDM to login as "X session" rather than the default gnome-session.

Hmm, this was a really good suggestion.

I didn't do it exactly like this, instead I decided to put GDM to use. I
added the following lines to /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default :

 if [ -x ${HOME}/.Xpost_session ]; then
 	su - ${USER} --command=${HOME}/.Xpost_session
 fi

The I put an executable script called .Xpost_session in my home
directory. It basically has the following format:

 #! /bin/zsh

 job1 &>| ~/.Xpost_session.err
 job2 &>>| ~/.Xpost_session.err

It all works wonderfully. Can it be done better, or more efficient?

/M

>Hope this helps
>--
>Karl E. Jørgensen
>karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com
>==== Today's fortune:
>There's no saint like a reformed sinner.

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

The corporation as we know it, which is now 120 years old, is unlikely to
survive the next 25 years. Legally and financially yes, but not stucturally
and economically.
     -- Peter Drucker