Re: Debian package downloader for win32

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:13:31 -0400, Chad Kiser <ckiser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is my problem.  I'm running debian at home where I have dial-up
> with no other options.  At work we have satellite which is just a
> little better.  To update my system now I have a second drive which I
> boot into which has a exact copy of my home debian install on it.
> Then I run an update, copy the files to cd take them home and install
> them there again.  Here is what I'm requesting, an app on debian which
> will output my installed package database and possible sources.list
> into a file. Then a win32 program that will read that file, look at my
> sources.list and present me with a list of upgradeable packages, then
> allow me to select packages to upgrade and download those for me.  I
> don't know anything about coding so I can't do something like this for
> myself, and I'm sure there are other people out there in a similar
> situation that something like this would benefit.  Would someone be
> willing to tackle such a project?

Not exactly what you are requesting, but it can be done with the tools
you have, you probably only need wget or similar application for
windos. It's explained in the APT offline howto (found this link on
google: http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/cgi-bin/dwww?type=html&location=/usr/share/doc/apt-doc/offline.html/index.html).

You only need to download the packages file with APT, it's bearable on
dial-up, but you can avoid this part too, only it became a little too
cumbersome...

Andrea

P.S. look at the 3rd part, "Using APT and wget"