Unable to Install MBR or Boot Cloned Debian Sarge Image

All,

I'm cloned a Debian Sarge installation with a Linux 2.6 initrd kernel
using rsync.  The source computer is a Dell PowerEdge with a SCSI RAID
array.  The target is a Compaq ProLiant with ATA IDE hardware.  I'm
attempting to install an MBR by running LILO ("lilo -r /mnt/target")
after cloning using rsync.  LILO reports the following errors:

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver

Has anyone seen such an error?  What does it mean?  The image won't
boot.  The console output includes the following messages:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-33, errno = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device "2103" or 21:03

It appears the ATA device driver won't load for the Compaq hardware.
Is there way to fix the Debian image so that it will boot on the new
hardware?  I'd like to avoid having to reinstall Debian Sarge.  Any
suggestions proferred would be suggested.

Michael
--
Michael G. Morey <mmorey@optivel.com>
Optivel