[OT] hardware problem

Hi Debian!

I have a problem and would like suggestions on how to isolate what is wrong.

1. I am running a Abit KT7A with 2 Maxtor HDD's 80GB + 40GB
Model=Maxtor 6Y080P0, FwRev=YAR41BW0, SerialNo=Y2FAZ3HE hda
Model=Maxtor 6E040L0, FwRev=NAR61590, SerialNo=E1FS8RWE hdb
and 3 256MB 168 pin memory cards.

2. Last summer I bought a new power supply that has double ballbearings, the original one don't. I put it in and after 20 minutes one disk goes "bad". He can't access it. When you boot, you see garbage in the bios identification field. I put the old powersupply in and the problem goes away. I think the new powersupply is bad. I tried this twice and the results are the same.

3. A few days ago, I suddenly have trouble copying an iso file from one partition on hda to another: it takes forever, what normally takes 10 seconds or so, now takes 10 minutes.

4. Yesterday I tried the new Sarge installer and it hangs in "Starting up the partitioner" booting with linux26. I file bug #277177. I try installing a 2.4.27 kernel and that works but on booting it he turns off DMA on the disks, says it has errors.

5. I leave the system powered down overnight, boot a Sarge partition on hda and now the system can't access hdb. I reboot and the bios id of the hdb disk is garbage. But just a second before I could boot 2.6.7 on a partition on that disk.

I want to identify the problem, preferably without buying new hardware at first. I now think it is the mobo, but how do I know?

Suggestions?

Hugo.