Gnome "courier" font is invisible except at 14pt

I'm running gnome on debian sarge, as provided by apt-get and friends.

My gnome "Courier" font appears to render as invisible text at every
pointsize apart from 14. The text can be copied and pasted, but it cannot
be viewed. This is particularly annoying for me because a lot of websites
use "courier" as their preferred monospace font.

If I plug in "courier" as the font family in xfontsel, it offers 292
matching names, but suggests that there are only two relevant foundries:
Adobe and Bitstream. I can't see any obvious anomalies there.

I suspect that this "Courier" font is actually from my Windows partition
(I also have "Courier New" and "Courier 10 Pitch", and both of these
render correctly), so I'd be happy to delete this "Courier" font provided
I could replace it (maybe with an alias from "Courier New"). However,
I'm not sure I know how to approach this.

Any suggestions anyone, please?

Thanks,
Chris