multihead

I have tried multiheading in the past, without much luck.
It seems that if I do not use the same resolution and bit depth on both screens, X will crash when I logout. Then, when I do use the same res and bpp, there is a huge increase in CPU usage while doing even simple tasks. Is there a way to remedy this, or is high proccessor usage the norm under multihead systems? No, I have not tried it under the most recent version of X, just one that is a few months old (I run unstable).
Thanks!

Digi
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
If God had meant for us to be naked, we would have been born that way.