Re: How to configure apt to retrieve Packages.bz2?

 --- Leif W <warp-9.9@usa.net> wrote:
> I've been building my own systems since early 1997, before bzip2 was in
> wide use, and I never had a machine which was too low spec to uncompress
> something that was compressed with bzip2 -9.  For anyone who ever

It is not so much that, as it is .gz is supported on all Linux systems by
default. bzip2 requires explicit installation. Using .gz ensure it will
work regardless.

> actually read about bzip2, it onlyneedslike 4-8MB or something, it works

But that's like, totally.

> But it begs the question: at what point do you maintain backwards
> compaibility (as the default configuration) for obsolete equipment which
> most people are not likely to use?  It further begs the question, why
> isn't the choice user-configurable during initial installation and setup
> or in an obvious way after setup?  Why is there no mention of bzip2
> support for {Packages,Sources} in any of the example configs, or package

It also begs the question "who cares?" given that the size decrease would
be negligable.

[..snip egotistical bull..]

-- Thomas Adam

=====