Re: Linux on a Thinkbad T42

On (18/10/04 12:06), Kevin Murphy wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Kevin Murphy <murphy@genome.chop.edu>
> Subject: Re: Linux on a Thinkbad T42
> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:06:29 -0400
>
> I bought a 1.7GHz IBM T42 (model 2374) at a special deal price with the
> intent to dual-boot Debian on it.  It is a great "sweet-spot" laptop
> for me, but I must confess that I have mostly been using it under
> Windows, partly because I haven't got the display working properly yet
> under Debian.  This is mainly due to my laziness.
>
> I installed the 2.6 kernel using the Sarge netinstall CD image, and the
> install worked well enough (the physical ethernet device was detected
> and configured properly), but I seem to be stuck using 800x600.  I know
> that it's possible to get the display working properly, as well as
> other features like wireless and 'suspend', because I've read various
> accounts on the net.  http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html

If you edit the file manually, try this in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "ThinkPad Screen"
        Device          "ATI Radeon 7500"
        Monitor         "Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1400x1050"
        EndSubSection

And of course make sure that "Server Layout" mentions whatever you
use in that section to identify "Screen," like so:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "ThinkPad Screen"
        InputDevice     "ThinkPad Keyboard"