Re: why are security and debian mirrors failing?

because my MTU was not set properly on my dhcp client. It was working on 1500. Changing it to 1490 corrected all this(by putting the "mtu 1490" option in the eth0 section in /etc/network/interfaces file).

I guess if connecting through a high speed modem internet connection, 1500 will never work.

->HS

Apparently, _H. S._, on 16/10/04 12:05,typed:

I just installed Unstable on a laptop and I am trying to update it. Currently, I am not able to update the security updates (neither stable nor testing) but I am able to update from a mirror near me. When I do update, I get:
#----------------------------------------------------
~# dselect update
Hit http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca unstable/main Packages
Hit http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca unstable/main Release
Hit http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca unstable/main Sources
Hit http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca unstable/main Release
Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
  Connection failed
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Connection failed
Reading Package Lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory) W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

update available list script returned error exit status 1.
Press <enter> to continue.
#----------------------------------------------------

And this happends with most other mirrors of Unstable too, just not the ones that seems to work. My sources.list is (with the working ones uncommented, except the security one that just won't work):
#----------------------------------------------------
~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

#deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main
#deb-src http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
#deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

#deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main
#deb-src http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ testing main
deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/debian/ unstable main

#added by HS,15Oct2004, to add other mirrors
#deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

# non-US
#deb ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free #deb-src ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free #deb ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free #deb-src ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free #deb ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free #deb-src ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

#added by HS,15Oct2004, to get nVidia stuff
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

And, if it matters, my apt.conf is:
~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "unstable";

However, the same security source works on my router machine (Testing). Explanation: I connect to the high speed internet connection through ADSL. ComputerA, running Testing, works as a router and as a firewall. My other computers are behind this on my private home network.

Suggestions?
->HS