fonts in debian/gnome/openoffice

Hi,

I am having some problems with fonts in debian. I never actually
understood how defoma workes and when I discovered, that you can just
throw your ttf files into ~/.fonts in gnome I was more than happy.

Now I have a problem however. I tried to make my own font using
fontforge, and this was my first try (I created only one character) -
anyway I guess it wasn't valid as when I put it into ~/.fonts it showed
up but broke my openoffice installation.

Openoffice could not start up again. The strace I showed a lot of fonts
being read and then at some point simply stopped. I didn't understand it
really and so I removed the font from ~/.fonts. I deleted .sversionrc in
~ as well as the .openoffice directory. This didn't help. So I removed
all openoffice packages completely and did a reinstallation later.

Now openoffice starts up again. And it's actually usable. There is just
some minor problem:
When I do a font replacement for the UI font. (Tools>Options>Font:
Andale Sans UI to be replaced with Arial) nothing happens. I can however
select the very same fonts that I try to use as replacement _in_ any
ooffice document and they just work. This problem applies only to the UI
font.

So this got me thinking about what I did, and it seems that fonts that
are put into ~/.fonts will somehow be translated/copied into some
directory (for openoffice at least).

This seems to work for insertions of new fonts but not for the removal
of fonts. At least not if some font was not valid.

Now finally to my question:
- What does happen, when I put a *.ttf into ~/.fonts?
- And what do I have to do to completely remove a font?
- what else could be the problem? Permissions?
- Has anybody had the same problem with openoffice - being unable to
change the UI font?

Thank you
Pascal

Some maybe useful info:

~$ xset -q
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  30
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fa9fffffffdffdff
                        ffffffffffffffff
                        ffffffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
/home/me/.gnome2/share/cursor-fonts,/usr/local/share/fonts,/usr/share/fonts,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts,/usr/share/fonts/afms,/usr/share/fonts/truetype,
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice,/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera,
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
/usr/share/fonts/type1,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont,
/home/me/.gnome2/share/fonts
  Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 7200    Suspend: 7200    Off: 14400
  DPMS is Disabled
Font cache:
  hi-mark (KB): 5120  low-mark (KB): 3840  balance (%): 70
File paths:
  Config file:  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
  Modules path: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
  Log file:     /var/log/XFree86.0.log

My fonts when inserted in ~/.fonts seem to end up in
/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype, and there is no trace of the inserted
non-valid font of mine.