Re: Firewall in Sarge

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:43:52AM -0400, Marc D Ronell wrote:
> >> "Douglas" == Douglas G Phillips <csdgp@eiu.edu> writes:
>   > On my system I put a firewall script in /etc/init.d
>
> I concur and did the same.

That seems to be the default, but I wonder for how long.  I don't
think I changed my setup.  /etc/init.d/iptables sources
/etc/default/iptables, which has some enlightening remarks:

# Q: You concocted this init.d setup, but you do not like it?
# A: I was pretty much hounded into providing it. I do not like it.
#    Don't use it. Use /etc/network/interfaces, use /etc/network/*.d/
#    scripts use /etc/ppp/ip-*.d/ script. Create your own custom
#    init.d script -- no need to even name it iptables.  Use ferm,
#    ipmasq, ipmenu, guarddog, firestarter, or one of the many other
#    firewall configuration tools available. Do not use the init.d
#    script.
(snip)
# Q: How do I get started?
# A: (Did I mention "do not use it" already? Oh well.)

So yes, it may work, but no, it does not seem like the best solution.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill