Re: compile src or make .deb pkg?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:05:58 -0400, "Steve" wrote:
Hey,
So what do you on debian if you want a newer
version of a program or a program that isnt in
apt-get's list at all, just go
get the src and compile it? and it should be fine or
would this makes
things unstable? (just something like xchat or whatever
normal app) or make a
quick (if possible) deb pkg out of the source and
install it?
thanks.

Steve.
-----
I think that an easy way to do this is to get an rpm
package and use alien to convert it to *.deb.

I am sure there are a much more ways but at least for
me this works fine. Also compiling the package if
necesary works too.

I hope this help.

Regards.

--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)