Re: printer won't stop

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 23:10, dougpol1@adelphia.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I am using Debian 2.6 Sarge. In KDE I clicked on
> system, printers using foomatic-gui I installeda Canon BJC
> 4400 printer. After installation I clicked 'print test
> page'.
> My printer printed about 20 pages of cod and data. I can't
> figure out how to end it. I have shut it down for now
> using pause printer. I have a print job called Star office
> Job #1 size 146 k. I could let it print itself out but I
> would like to know how to take out this a print job to
> stop it for future reference.
>     Thanks Doug

You don't say whether you are using CUPS, but I assume you are.  In case
you don't get a more expert answer, the easy way out is to delete the
printer and reinstall it.   Starting with a fresh printer ensures you
have an empty queue.  You may also need to power down the printer in
case it buffers data.

Alternatively you can look for the spool file in /var/spool/cups.  It
will probably be called c00001.  Deleting this may help -- but my
experience is that it doesn't always get rid of the print job in
progress.

Your test page is probably not the job called Star office
Job #1 -- it should not have come from StarOffice.  So you probably have
another job waiting to print.

As to what caused the problem, I have had similar experiences when not
all the cups packages were installed, so make sure you have all the
required packages installed, including cupsys-bsd (that was the one
that cause me difficulty). Also make sure when you re-install the
printer that you get the right driver.

HTH

--
richard