Re: Problems with debian install

I managed to install debian but after recreating the partitions and surrendering my windows partition as well. But the problem now is that it is not able to configure the right monitor and video adoptor.

This is a compaq machine with an intel 815 chipset. Monitor is Compaq V570.

On a similar machine with a redhat, I get the specifications of the video card/monitor. That machine uses i810 chipset specifications instead. But when I tried to use the same on debian, the X windows crashes. I managed to run xwindows once with a generic video adoptor. But the resolution etc. were very poor. When I shifted to i810, x windows crashed.

Can somebody tell me how to get xwindows going? What does one do to get the right configuration for video drivers and monitor?

Vikas