Re: big boot problem with sid i-386 installer

Roozemond, D.A. wrote:

Please do not send private replies, reply only to the list....

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hda1
title           Windows NT/2000/XP
root            (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader     +1

In my gentoo grub config (that's the only linux I have together with
windows XP) it says

# Windows
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1
So that sort of matches your configuration.

I still find it rather strange that Windows XP won't reinstall. I'm
pretty sure there is a utility called 'FIXMBR' which fixes the master
boot record (as you would kinda expect) to boot to windows. You should
be able to access it via the rescue disks (which you of course created
when installing windows), or the installation cd. However, be warned
that it might then be hard to get into your debian system again...

Dan

Hi, thanks for all your  help  sincerely .
In the end , google is still the first choice before asking others
for help when get into trouble :)

I googled and found a article  dealing with this problem.Here is
it's solution methods:

     "Solution

*One quick solution is to activate the LBA or large access mode under which the hard disk was previously addressed for the hard disks in the computer's BIOS.* It is important that the hard disk values not be set to "AUTO".

If this does not help (or if your BIOS does not offer this option), you can repair the partition table with a driver update. To do this, proceed as follows: On our FTP server, find two images at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.1/misc/parted/: one for creating a floppy disk and one for creating a CD.

"

here is the link to the full article:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html