Re: Install options until Sarge lands...Can I use the installer with my 7 Woody discs?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:05:41PM +0000, scott wrote:

> ... I cannot tell from any searching if the new "installer" is included on
> those weekly sarge snapshot ISO images.

It is.

> I am wondering what I should do while I wait for the official Sarge
> announcement. Should I:
>
> a) Download the unofficial Sarge anyway, since people run Sid without issues?
>
> b) Download the installer ISO and see if it will use my other Woody discs to
> complete install (will this work?)

No, it won't.

> c) Just settle with MEPIS/Knoppix flavor for now

Why is that settling?  They're perfectly valid distributions.  I happen to
like Debian, but I don't denigrate Mepis, Gnoppix, Knoppix, Progeny, etc.

> Please also note that this is a networkless box, so I won't be connected to the
> web any time soon with it - all installation and package updating will have to
> be via disc.

On a networkless box, I'd be very afraid to use Sarge until it's stable,
because one a week or so I'm getting a multi-hundred megabyte update.  If
you install Sarge, you'll end up downloading multiple sets of install disks
before it's finally released, if you want to stay current.

Why not stick to either of the perfectly good distros you're using for a few
more months?
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading