RE: nVIDIA installation works....

high,

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Philippe Dhont   (Sea-ro) wrote:

> Well, that's strange to believe because it's a new DELL 1703FPt flat
> screen monitor and i am sure of it that it can handle higher resolution.
> Anyway, this i my Xfree log.
> I also tried with 1152x864 but no luck with that also.
> The video card is a nVIDIA quadro card.

the video card doesn't detect your monitor's capabilities correctly
(perhaps because your video card/monitor is connectec to the VGA and not
the DVI interface?). According to Dell
(http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?TabPage=techspecs&sku=320-0697&c=us&l=en&cs=19),
which doesn't give us much information, but at least this:

Max Sync Rate (V x H): 76 Hz x 80 kHz

Factory Preset Resolution Modes: 640x480 @ 75 Hz, 800x600 @ 60.3 Hz,
800x600 @ 75 Hz, 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 1024x768 @ 75 Hz, 1152x864 @ 75 Hz,
1280x1024 @ 60 Hz, 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz

So 1280x1024 is possible at 75 Hz. Now looking through your XFree log, we
see:
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-0: maximum pixel clock at  8 bpp: 400 MHz
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-0: maximum pixel clock at 16 bpp: 400 MHz
> (--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-0: maximum pixel clock at 32 bpp: 400 MHz
> (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
> (II) LoadModule: "ddc"
> (II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
> (II) NVIDIA(0): ___:ffff: Using hsync range of 30.00-50.00 kHz
> (II) NVIDIA(0): ___:ffff: Using vrefresh range of 56.00-75.00 Hz
(try to find it back, it helps you to understand the X output).

The hsync rate of your monitor can be 80 kHz maximum, while the range of
30-50 kHz is set/detected. You have to set it manually in your XF86Config
in the monitor section:

        HorizSync       30-80

Try to find the correct minimum frequencies of your LCD device and set
them accordingly.

Greetz,
Sebas

--

English written by Dutch people is easily recognized by the improper use of 'In principle ...'

The software box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Als Pacman in de jaren '80 de kinderen zo had be?nvloed zouden nu veel jongeren rondrennen
in donkere zalen terwijl ze pillen eten en luisteren naar monotone electronische muziek.
(Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989)