From: Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) [mailto:philippe.dhont@searo.be]
Sent: woensdag 13 oktober 2004 11:26
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: New kernel...sockets problems, sshd problem,...general problems
with 2.6.8.1 kernel installation and SATA

Hello,

I'm using a DELL 470 workstation with a XEON proc, 1GB RAM and 2 SATA
disks.

I installed sarge last week on it, everything works (sshd, ftp, X11
(gnome), DHCP, GPM).
Now i downloaded kernel 2.6.8.1 and configured it with following
settings:
SCSI, libata, sound, DHCP, XEON architecture, USB, VESA...

I had to change my fstab to get it working because my sata disks are
seen as SCSI disks so i changed HDA* to SDA* in my fstab.
Now i am booting in my new kernel (NO INITRD) and i don't see anything
wrong when it boots.
I have high resolution, i can see the penguin :) and i get an ip address
from my DHCP server.

I can ping to other pc's and other pc's can ping to me, FTP is also
working.

What's not working is:

- GPM it's correctly configured, just like in my other configuration
(but with other kernel) and should work via /dev/input/mice and when i
attach my mouse, i get USB messages on my screen so my machine is
detecting the logitech USB mouse but when i move my mouse, nothing is
happening.

- SSHD is not working, i checked the listenadress and this is correctly
but when i try to connect from another machine i get:
READ FROM SOCKET FAILED: CONNECTION RESET BY PEER

- Xserver not working (works perfectly with my other configuration) When
i perform a startx i get:

_XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for local
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for local/squidie:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for local

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full
server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/squidie:0 Giving up.
Xinit: Address family not supported by protocol (errno 97): unable to
connect to X server
Xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.

Now, there is no X server already running (checked /tmp/.X11 and there
is nothing overthere).

Help is much appreciated...i don't know what to check/change further to
get this working.
Cheers,
Philippe.

Disclaimer :

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned
as recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately.
This e-mail does not constitute any commitment for Sea-Ro Terminal N.V.
or its subsidiaries except when expressly otherwise

agreed in a written agreement between the intended recipient and the
originating subsidiaries of Sea-Ro Terminal  N.V.
Sea-Ro Terminal and each of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

This mail has been checked for viruses by Symantec and Trend Micro.