Re: Debian Sarge printing ?.

On (12/10/04 13:40), Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have tried to setup the printer using http://localhost:631, but had no
> luck to link to
> the printers in the network on my server.
>
> I choosed IPP, as there is no network option with the :631.
>
> What can I do to get it to work ?.
>
> I also modified the cupsd.conf file according to the details I have
> received in this thread.
>
> I cannot see whats going on in the cups logfiles.
>
> Nor can I see it in the /var/log/messages file.
FWIW I also had problem with IPP so I used samba.  I've got Samba
installed on the File/Print server and smbclient on the client PC's.

Select Add Printer

Insert Printer_name (forget Location and Description - optional)

Device: Windows printer via Samba

Device URL: smb://Domain_name/Server_name/Printer_Name

I've set up a few clients this way and it is much more reliable than
using the KDE print setup for example. It should also work for windows
printers.

I know IPP should work but I didn't persevere ;)

HTH

Clive