Re: Serious problems after "apt-get dist-upgrade"

--- Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> wrote:

> What distribution did you START with?

"Woody", 2.2.20-idepci, from CD's I purchased.

>What distro is your sources.list pointing to?

"testing" from the main station.  I ran "apt-get
dist-upgrade" pointing to a mirror at MIT but it was
missing some packages so I then ran it again at the
main site to pick them up.  I got all the
packages...the problem is they sit in the
/var/cache/apt/archives directory uninstalled, except
for a few crucial ones that hurt more than they
helped, like libc6 2.3.x.

>What if you did "apt-get -f"?

Did it, it made the "apt-get dist-upgrade" get all
those packages (before running that it got stuck), but
the problem seems to be not *getting* the packages,
but _installing_ them.

ejd