Re: Files in /tmp and /var/tmp

Hello

Adi Linden (<adil@adis.on.ca>) wrote:

>> AFAICT they are cleaned at boot time (or during shutting down). I
>> think this behavior is actually documented in the debian policy,
>> though I'm not entirely sure.
>
> I didn't find it in the policy manual but just now found relevant
> information in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) documentation.
> I need to find an appropriate place for SquirrelMail's temporary
> files.

By default, /var/tmp is not cleaned at boot time on Debian systems.
Only /tmp, /var/lock and /var/run are cleaned. However, /var/tmp
normally allows writing für anyone, so maybe it is not a good place,
unless the service takes some precautions. Imagine it tries to open a
file that was stored in /var/tmp, but someone exchanged the file with a
symlink to /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r).

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270