Post "apt-get dist-upgrade" question:

Hello,

I was able to download a new kernel and hundreds of
packages through "apt-get dist-upgrade"; I got the
kernel going the old way of making links and editing
/etc/lilo.conf.

Did all those packages install themselves or is there
something I have to do by hand still, like with the
kernel-image?  The main reason I ask is that new
versions of KDE and GNOME came down the pipe but
nothing seems to have changed with them.

Thanks,

ejd