Re: How does a linux dhcp client know it's name?

Alec Berryman wrote:

begin  quotation of icebiker on 2004-10-09 18:24:56 -0400:

jvl@flipper:/etc$ hostname -i
hostname: Unknown host

This (along with its omission in your email) leads me to believe
you've overlooked /etc/hosts.  'man hosts' for more information.

Sorry, I had looked at /etc/hosts. /etc/hosts appears to only specify _static_ IP addresses, at least that's what I get from the man page.

So is there some magic syntax for specifying a variable IP address in /etc/hosts, or is there another mechanism.

And why bother with /etc/hostname if /etc/hosts is required?

/icebiker