Re: "apt-get dist-upgrade" Question:

On Friday 08 October 2004 12:18 pm, Eric Dickner wrote:

> For my modem-connected machine it is a ginormous
> download, some 500 Meg...

Painful, innit?  I did that when I upgraded from Woody to Sarge.

> Will I, or some kind of disconnnect at the ISP, ruin
> the whole thing?  Can I then issue the command again
> and will it recognize the packcages it already got?

I used to

apt-get dist-upgrade --download

Or something like that.  Check the man page for the syntax.  There's an option
to just download packages.  You can run it on successive nights until you get
everything, and then you can sit down and handle answering all the inevitable
installation questions at a time of your choosing afterwards by running a
regular apt-get dist-upgrade.

> Is this just a bad idea to try over a modem
> connection?

It sucks, but it works fine.  I did it that way for around a year, and I did
at least two gigantic 40-hour download marathons in that period.  The only
big problem is if you spread this out over too many days, sometimes the
package you're trying to get no longer exists, so you have to update and then
start over with potentially newer versions of all kinds of things.

(If you do this a few times, and then get cable later, you will be absolutely
disgusted at how fast it is.  These 500 MB upgrades take about an hour,
including answering all the questions and actually installing everything.)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/