Re: how to recover data even when unable to mount?

I suggest that you first remove the old hard disk. Then do
a complete new install of Sarge on the new hard disk.
In Debian, dd-rescue is in the ddrescue package.

Don't try to operate from knoppix, if you have a brand new HD
on which you can install quickly all the packages that you
need.

Once your new system is up and running and you have gathered info here
and from googling, etc., prepare to reinstall the old HD by adding
lines to /etc/fstab for each the the partitions that you hope to
recover. Reinstall the old HD, but this time as the slave drive
(/dev/hdb).

Have a detailed plan of what you want to recover and in what
order. Watch during boot to see if any/all partitions on hdb
are mounted during boot. If some mount and others don't work
on recovering data from the ones that mount.