Re: 3c575_cb missing from debian install

Ketil Froyn wrote:
> I'm trying to install debian testing on my laptop, but I need the
> 3c575_cb for my PCMCIA network adapter, and for some reason it is not
> included on the boot, root, net-drivers or even cd-drivers images. I
> don't know why, the net-drivers has over 200kb free space. It's
> difficult to install without it, my Thinkpad 240 doesn't have a CD
> player, and I don't have a USB device, so network is the only practical
> way to install debian.
>
> Anyway, has anyone managed this? How? Or can anyone suggest how I can
> get that driver onto my system? I even tried downloading the
> pcmcia-modules package on my desktop system, and manually copying the
> module to my laptop, but it didn't work.

We don't have this module in the installer, because the source is in the
pcmcia-cs package, not in the kernel source. The pcmcia-cs modules are
no longer built in debian sarge (perhaps you downloaded a version from
woody?), since they're thought to be pretty much obsoleted by the pcmcia
modules available as part of the kernel. If your card is really not
supported by the 3c59x module, then you need to let the pcmcia-cs and
kernel maintainers know about that so they can work out a way to provide
the module.

--
see shy jo