Re: "apt-get dist-upgrade" Question:

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:18:17 -0700 (PDT)
Eric Dickner <ejdickner@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For my modem-connected machine it is a ginormous
> download, some 500 Meg...
>
> Will I, or some kind of disconnnect at the ISP, ruin
> the whole thing?  Can I then issue the command again
> and will it recognize the packcages it already got?
>
> Will it check these downloads for errors with an md5
> or something?
>
> Is this just a bad idea to try over a modem
> connection?

Slow, and painfully slow, yes. Problem, no.

apt-get is smart enough that it will see what packages and even the
parts of packages that have already been downloaded and will resume
where it left off. (Though it will probably require you to run apt-get
dist-upgrade to get it started again.)

HTH & HAND,
Jacob