Re: installing on an older machine

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:52:06 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I am trying to install debian on an old hp vectra.

What version and distribution are you trying to install
Debian???

> The
> (testing) install
> goes along fine, finding the nic and downloading stuff
> from the network
> but then it reports that it can't find any
> partitionable media.

If it is Debian, this suggest that the installation
does not recognize your hard drive. It does not load
the correct driver.

> Well,
> there is a 1.7 gig hard drive that currently has a
> stripted win95 on it.

Which hard drive do you have??

> Could there be some hardware mod I need to make or is
> the install
> program at fault? There was a report-hw program in
/bin
> that I piped
> through more. It found lots of things but stopped when
> it couldn't find
> hdparm.
>
> I'm using install floppies dated 8-1-2004.
>
> What should I try next?

There are a couple of ways of workout this but depends
in the questions above.

--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)