From: Andrei Badea [mailto:andrei.badea@movzx.net]
Sent: Friday, 8 October 2004 9:55 a.m.
To: Debian User List
Subject: Switching between two network cards

Hello all,

this is not quite a Debian related problem (except that I'm running sid),
but anyway... I've got two network cards: one integrated on my motherboard
(uses the sk98lin driver) and a PCI card (fealnx driver). Both drivers are
compiled as modules and upon startup I'm loading only fealnx via
/etc/modules (I'm not loading sk98lin at all). The network runs fine.

After my system starts, I want to switch to the other network card (the
sk98lin one), but I only want its module loaded, so I do:

ifdown eth0
rmmod fealnx
modprobe sk98lin
ifup eth0

Messages in dmesg say the network is up and running. But it isn't, it
seems I can't ping nor make net connections. However, when I (for example)
run a ping and look at the LEDs on the card, I see them bliking in the
"ping" way. I can also see the echo request and reply packets in tcpdump.
But ping doesn't get them and reports 100% loss.

If I unload sk98lin and reload fealnx, the net works fine. Now comes the
interesting part: if I put sk98lin in /etc/modules instead of fealnx and
restart, the net comes up. Only this time I can't switch to fealnx. This
shows both the cards are working.

I thought this was caused by iptables settings, so after loading the other
module I rerun the script which setups my firewall rules. Didn't help.

I'm running Debian sid with self-compiled kernel 2.6.7.

Any ideas why this is happening? Not that is it important, as my net is
running with any of the cards if I restart, I'm just curious. However, I'd
like to point out that I don't want both modules to be loaded. I want to
be able to unload the running one and load another without having to restart.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Andrei

--