Re: Fast photo scaling

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:40:27PM -0500, Rich Wellner wrote:
> The photo questions reminded me I have an outstanding issue.  I fequently
> resize hundreds of photos at a time and it takes a heck of a long time under
> convert.  I know from experience that convert can be dog in some circumstances
> so wonder if anyone knows of a tool that might allow me to do this kind of
> thing in less time.

Have you tried using the -size hint with convert?  From the man page:

  To make a thumbnail of a JPEG image, use:

      convert -size 120x120 cockatoo.jpg -resize 120x120
              +profile "*" thumbnail.jpg

  In  this example, '-size 120x120' gives a hint to the JPEG decoder that
  the image is going to be downscaled to  120x120,  allowing  it  to  run
  faster  by avoiding returning full-resolution images to ImageMagick for
  the subsequent resizing operation.

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!