Re: Fatal server error: no screens found - Xfree86 Problems

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:01:06 +1000, Scott Barlow
<scott_barlow@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a reasonable newbie to Debian and have been trying unsucceffully to get
> (specifically kde) working on my box. I have modified the XF86Config-4 file
> through the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 command but am having no luck.
> My
> machine boots ok under knoppix so I know its not an incompatibility. I am
> posting the entire XFree86.0.log to give you an idea. If you would like a
> copy
> of my 86Config-4 file give us a yell. Theres not much to it. Geforce2 400MX
> video card with a Presario MV500 15 inch monitor.
> Thank you all for your help and would appreciate any feedback you can give
> me.

[...]

> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> the full server output, not just the last messages.
> This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org

I suppose the range of your monitor, the vertical and horizontal
refresh frequency range, you should find them on your monitor manual,
is not correctly detected. I could suggest to peek in the Knoppix
XF86Config to the "Monitor" section and copy the "HorizSync" and
"VertRefresh" (or look them in your monitor manual =) and insert them
via dpkg-reconfigure selecting expert mode, or something like that,
when ask for the monitor...

Andrea