Re: Nvidia + 2.6 kernel

Andrew Schulman <andrex@alumni.utexas.net> said on Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:56:37 -0400:
> The rivafb module is incompatible with the nvidia driver; see
> /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian.  This shouldn't be a
> problem if you never load that module, but if it does ever get loaded
> for some reason, your monitor could explode (figuratively speaking).  I

I was reading this just the other day, trying to decide whther I want
to try getting my old nvidia card working again (I don't even have
non-accelarated GLX in its current state using the nv driver -- when I
was using nvidia, I had GLX, and managed about 2 frames a second in
glxgears, before the machine would crash -- yay!).

I have successfully gotten rivafb to talk with my video card
simulataneously with the nv X driver. I need this, because I have a
fixed freq monitor, and so need modelines that vesafb can't provide
when at the console. Do you know of any other way? Presumably, I could
use framebuffer X (Option "UseFBDev" "true"), but then I would have to
put up with even slower X with no accelaration.

Damn, I should have asked DS this lastnight over the pizza (although
he may be sick of talking about work) :)

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
            -- Hamilcar Barca @ comp.os.linux.advocacy