Re: Nvidia + 2.6 kernel

> Sorry for the lack of details.  I couldn't find the log file from the
> by entering the command:
>
> module-assistant auto-install nvidia
>
> I get a warning about the rivafb module and it says there is no rule
> to make target kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-686.  Let me know if you need
> more information.
> >
> > > I was hoping to try out a 2.6 kernel.  When I installed it (using
> > > apt-get) I couldn't get the nvidia drivers to install (using
> > > module-assisstant) nor by doing a manual install as per the
> > > instructions of this webpage:
> > > http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html.
> > > My computer is a dell dimension 8250 with a GeForce4 MX 420 video card.

The rivafb module is incompatible with the nvidia driver; see
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian.  This shouldn't be a
problem if you never load that module, but if it does ever get loaded
for some reason, your monitor could explode (figuratively speaking).  I
suggest deleting /lib/modules/2.6.8-1-
686/kernel/drivers/video/riva/rivafb.ko.  Don't worry about deleting it;
if you ever need it back, you can always reinstall your kernel image
package.  OTOH, if you ever upgrade to a new version of that kernel,
that file will be replaced, and you'll want to remove it again to be
safe.

I haven't seen the error about no target to make kernel-headers-*
before.  Normally module-assistant will find and install these for you,
but in this case it seems to have failed.  Try running 'apt-get install
kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-686', then rerunning module-assistant.  If you
succeed in building the nvidia module, then you've found a bug in
module-assistant and you should report it.

Good luck,
Andrew.