Re: GDM puts a semi-persistent "X" in the middle of the screen.

Once upon a time Adam Funk said...
> When I log out of xfce4, the gdm login box appears normally.  Not long
> afterwards, an "X" (like the multiplication symbol rather than the
> letter) appears right in the middle of the screen.  When I log back in,
> it stays on the screen until I run kmail or knode, either of which
> makes it disappear.

That's the default X11 cursor when it starts up.

I had a similar problem on my Toshiba laptop, using the "savage" X11
driver. I had to turn off the hardware cursor to get it fixed. I looked
in the man page for my X11 video driver to find the option. (man savage
in my case).