Re: How to change default partition scheme in chroot sid

Once upon a time Henry Lenzi said...

>  I am currently running Woody and I created a chrooted sid partition.
>  Here's my current partition scheme for sid:

If sid is in a chroot, it does not have a partitioning scheme. It lives
on the filesystem on which woody was installed.

> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda2              4806080   4711892         0 100% /
> /dev/hda5              3844584    119880   3529408   4% /var
> /dev/hda4              2691228    862848   1691672  34% /root
> /dev/hda1               189339      1333    178230   1% /boot
> /dev/hda6              3844584   2486176   1163112  69% /usr
> /dev/hda7              3844584   2864268    785020  79% /home
>
>  I would like to know if there's a way to change this default when you're
> installing sid. Let me rephrase that: how do I install chrooted sid with an
> arbitrary partition scheme and what tools do I use for that?

Basically, you can't change the partitioning scheme. You have only one
set of partitions regardless of how many chroot installations you have.
The chroot installations live on the existing partitions that were
created when you set up woody.

If I were in your situation, I would probably backup /var to somewhere
on /home and very very carefully repartition the drive, taking note of
*exactly* which cylinder each partition starts on. Since hda2 (root)
and hda5 (/var) *in your setup* are contiguous, it should be possible
to jiggle the partitions so that you end up with more space on your root
filesystem and less on /var.

However, I dont recommend this unless you can afford to reload everything
in case it mucks up, and only if you are sure of what you are doing.

Others may come up with better solutions - I'd wait to see what else
comes up on this thread. Maybe there's a partitioning tool that will do
it with little to no risk.